Tuesday, April 8, 2014

They’re Everywhere!

So I’m getting into the line at the Hertz counter to pick up my rental car, when one of the employees working the floor tells me I can do all of that using one of the kiosks. Looking around, I notice a line of small machines, a little smaller than a bank’s ATM, each of which appears to include a touch-screen computer interface, a second monitor mounted at about eye level, and a telephone handset like the one on an old-style payphone. After a moment, I realized that there was a video camera mounted just below the upper monitor, like you sometimes see in a teleconferencing or video phone setup. The line in front of me was about 20 people, and there were only four live agents working the counter, which struck me as a rather silly way to spend an hour or more, so I decided to give the kiosk a try. I walked over and touched the “Start” icon on the lower screen…

It took a few minutes, but eventually the upper screen lit up, showing me the face of a woman and a nametag that gave her name and said she was working in the Oklahoma City call center. The conversation went about the way renting a car usually does, including the agent on the monitor trying to sell me on various upgrades and add-on services that I didn’t need (this wasn’t a driving vacation, it was a business trip, and I don’t need GPS navigation to find my way around the city in which I grew up). The kiosk had a card-reader which proved capable of reading the magnetic strip on my Driver’s license as well as the one on my credit card, and after a few more attempts to enhance my bill the printer built into the kiosk came to life and spat out my rental car documents. All I had to do was go find the numbered parking space the agent on the screen had mentioned and drive off…

I didn’t really have time just then to start interviewing my rental agent – and it can be really difficult to get someone to answer your questions when they can just press a button and disconnect your video call. But from what the agent told me the company maintains a very large call center at their Oklahoma City complex, and the agents working there may find their workstation linked to a Hertz kiosk anywhere in the world as needed – presumably assigned according to the language choice selected by the customer when they log into the kiosk screen. This means that instead of having a large crew of rental agents standing around in each airport and rental location waiting for customers to assist, the company only has one large group of rental agents standing around in the middle of North America, who can help our wherever they happen to be needed at the moment. With a couple of extra shifts this one call center could take care of customers in rental locations all over the world, all without leaving their cubicles…

Now, I’m not sure this idea would work in all industries. Most companies with equivalent business models have either build completely automated systems – telephone and website – that allow the customer to take care of his or her own business as desired, or have retained live personnel at their customer service locations, or occasionally both. The airline I was flying that day, for example, handles all of the check-in and seat-assignment tasks using automated kiosks, but has live agents standing by (one for every five to twenty-five automated terminals, depending on the location) to handle anything too complicated for the automated system. Since those duties do occasionally involve handling or moving baggage, an agent calling in from a remote location couldn’t handle them. But there are any number of other businesses that could use such a system…

I suspect that as telecommunications systems (and bandwidth) become cheaper it will become economical for more companies to use this sort of remote live agent system. Whether this is ultimately good for the customer, or for the employees, remains to be seen. But there is something appealing about the idea of a team of customer service representatives being stationed at every company location in the world simultaneously…

No comments: