Friday, December 31, 2010

The Numbers Are In...

Three weeks ago I activated the "Stats" function on this blog, which includes the counter you can find at the bottom of the page, to see if my picture of who comes to this site - and how often - was correct. As I noted at the time, the stats system had only been available for a few months, and was indicating that I get between 500 and 600 visitors a month - which seemed a bit high. Well, actually, it seemed like somewhere between 490 and 590 more than I would have expected, and I decided to keep an eye on the hits and see what happened. It's been an interesting few weeks, to say the least...

As you can see from the counter, we've had over 630 hits in the 21 days since I turned on the counter; we seem to average about 20 visits a day, although I can't tell you for sure if that's 20 visitors or just 2 people who come by a whole lot. By contrast, my rather snaky opinion blog, called "Racing to the Bottom" is only drawing a few hits each month, and in fact weeks go by without a single visitor. I don't update it as often, and perhaps the topics aren't as accessible, since they're mostly be railing about something or other that has gotten under my skin that week, but I'll keep an eye on that one, too...

So, as we go into 2011, what will happen to my little business blog? Will it retain its modest core of readers, or will it drop off into one of those dark corners of the Internet people never visit? Will people start reading the opinion columns on "Racing to the Bottom" because I've linked to it here, or will that dry up too? If I go through with that whim to start a third blog featuring light-hearted fiction and comedy, will anyone come to that party? Is anyone even reading this one? I still don't have any answers, but I can tell you this much: One of the reasons I gave for starting this blog was "It might be fun" - and it has been. I think I'll stick with it for another year...

Happy New Year, everyone!

No comments: